Catalytic Converters – Platinum & Palladium
- 80% of the world’s supply of palladium (Pd) and 50% of the world’s supply of platinum (Pt) are used in catalytic converters annually.
- Worldwide, catalytic converters require about 12,600,000 oz of Pd and Pt per year to meet the exhaust emission regulations for gasoline.
- A typical auto or light truck catalytic converter contains two to 12 grams of Pd and a similar amount of Pt.
- 27 million catalytic converters become available as scrap per year.
- Currently less than 30% of the Pd & Pt in catalytic converters is recovered.
- A diesel cat wave is coming – as DPF sales began in 2006 and the average recycle age of units is 10+ years.